Ant hills can disfigure a lawn, a proactive approach works best.
CONTROLLING ANTS OVERVIEW
Ant hills can disfigure lawns; they usually appear in summer, especially prevalent in damp conditions. They can be dispersed by brushing the soil when conditions are dry, this will avoid smearing them on the lawn when mowing.
We recommend the following methods of Ant Control for lawns, garden pots and around the home.
DIY; Ant Stop® Granules
(Best Seller & available from our vans and shop)
Buy Ant Stop®Granules from our shop.
When first noticed, a proactive approach works best.
- Ant Stop Granule® contains Spinosad.
Mode of Action:
- ANTSTOP!® Granules is not designed to kill ants instantly, so they take the ANTSTOP! back to the nest and the entire colony is destroyed.
For application by watering can as a drench treatment:
- Dilute 10 grams product with 0.5 litres of water, then apply to nests at a rate of 0.5 litres of solution per nest
- Tip; Create a hole in the nest first to ensure accuracy of application to the nest.
Use Pesticides Safely. Always Read the label and product information before use.
DIY: Nemasys® No Ants (Biological Control)
Environmentally friendly and Natural.
- Safe for children, pets, wildlife and bees.
- Nemasys No Ants boosts levels of naturally occurring nematodes.
- Application; Typically April through to September.
Buy Nemasys® Natural no ants from our shop.
Mode of Action:
- The nematodes act as an irritant and the ants are displaced from their colonies.
- Where ant levels are very high repeat applications may be required to prevent the ants returning to the colony.
- Apply when ant activity is visible on top of the lawn, this is typically April through to September.
- Apply to moist lawns when the soil temperature is above 10ºC (50ºF) and water them in well.
- Make sure the lawn does not dry out for at least two weeks after applying nematodes.
- The ants do not tolerate the nematodes (Steinernema feltiae) near their nests and move their nests away from these areas.
- Nemasys No Ants can be used to deal with an ant infestation, without any of the precautions associated with chemical use.
- Nemasys No Ants is available in a pack to treat 16 nests.
- Each pack will contain approx 9 million nematodes.
- Keep in the fridge and use by Date marked.
- Once open use the complete pack.
What Does an Ant Nest Look Like?
Ant hills left untreated will make your lawn uneven, they can be dispersed by brushing the soil when conditions are dry, this will avoid smearing them on the lawn when mowing.
Most ant species build underground nests. Worker ants dig tunnels and chambers, or rooms, in the soil. As the colony grows, workers add more tunnels and chambers to the nest.
Ant colonies can grow to be quite large. Their nests may reach 6 meters below the ground. The ants connect the mounds with scent trails. The group of nests may cover an area as large as a tennis court. Millions of ants may live in these nests.
The chambers in an ant nest have many different uses. The queen has her own chamber for laying eggs. Some chambers are nurseries for the growing young. Food is stored in other chambers. Still other chambers are resting places for hard-working ants!
- There are more than 12,000 species of ants all over the world
- An ant can lift 20 times its own body weight
- Some queen ants can live for many years and have millions of babies
- Ants don’t have ears. Ants "hear" by feeling vibrations in the ground through their feet
- When foraging, ants leave a pheromone trail so that they know where they’ve been
- Queen ants have wings, which they shed when they start a new nest
- When the queen of the colony dies, the colony can only survive a few months. Queens are rarely replaced and the workers are not able to reproduce.
As a consumer you will need to decide which control/deterrent method will be best for you, but hopefully this information will help.
Use Pesticides Safely. Always read the label and product information before use.
To avoid risks to man and the environment, comply with the instructions for use.
Ant Stop Granule® is a registered trademark of Scotts Miracle Gro.
Nemasys® No Ants is a registered trademark of BASF.